- On March 22, 2011, Chairman Genachowski spoke at the CTIA trade show and touted spectrum, the “oxygen” of the mobile system, as the key to mobile broadband development. Genachowski highlighted many of the innovations for mobile devices, like tablets and applications, and emphasized that more Americans should have access to broadband. Genachowski promoted next generation 911 and incentive auctions for spectrum as important developments to unleash the next generation of broadband and devices. Chairman Genachowski’s speech is available here.
- On March 21, 2011, the FCC released two reports on telephone and broadband trends. titled “Internet Access Services” and “Local Telephone Competition”. The reports found that 60% of those surveyed have broadband speeds less than 4 Mps and that fixed broadband subscribership has leveled off in the first half of 2010, while wireless broadband subscribers grew by 27% during the same period. Subscription to interconnected VoIP service has grown 21% between June 2009 and June 2010. The reports are available here.
- Google has released data on broadband speeds around the world and also has announced a $1,000,000 investment to develop web-based technologies for detecting Internet throttling and government censorship. Google has measured two years of data gathered by M-Lab, which was formed through a partnership between the New America Foundation and Google. The investment funds two years of work at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- The submission deadline for the FCC Open Internet Challenge is June 1, 2011. The FCC seeks ideas for monitoring Internet providers’ compliance with the Open Internet rules. The winner will get a trip to Washington, DC and will be honored at an FCC Chairman’s reception. More information can be found here.
Register Now As you are not an existing subscriber please register for your free daily legal newsfeed service.Register
If you have any questions about the service please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lexology Customer Services on +44 20 7234 0606.
- Arent Fox LLP
- Ross A. Buntrock , Alan G. Fishel , Michael B. Hazzard , Jeffrey E. Rummel and Jason A. Koslofsky
- March 28 2011
If you are interested in submitting an article to Lexology, please contact Andrew Teague at email@example.com.
Group Manager, Legal and Business Services
Australian Grand Prix Corporation