The Mortgage Lenders and Administrators Return (MLAR) statistics are quarterly statistics aggregated from the returns from around 340 regulated mortgage lenders and administrators, providing data on their mortgage lending activities.
The Bank of England has recently published the MLAR Q1 2016 figures showing that:
- The overall value of the residential loan amounts outstanding in Q1 2016 was £1,304.5 billion, an increase of 1.0% compared with Q4 2015 and an increase of 3.4% over the past four quarters.
- Amounts outstanding on regulated loans were £1,031.9 billion, constituting 79% of the total in Q1 2016.
- Non-regulated loans increased by £3.6 billion compared with Q4 2015 and by £7.8 billion compared with Q1 2015, to a level of £272.6 billion in Q1 2016.
In relation to new business lending, the statistics show that:
- Gross advances of £64 billion were recorded in Q1 2016. This was 1.5% higher than in Q4 2015 and 40.4% higher than in Q1 2015.
- Net advances increased from £6.3 billion in Q1 2015 to £13.6 billion in Q1 2016, an increase of 117.0% over the previous four quarters.
- The percentage of advances to borrowers with impaired credit history decreased by 2 basis points (bps) to 0.24% in Q1 2016.
The Bank of England has confirmed that the next release date for up to date MLAR statistics will be 13 September 2016.