On 27 February 2015, Advocate NA Ramatlhodi, Minister of Mineral Resources, published amendments to Chapter 8 of the Regulations to the MHSA (which deal with Machinery and Equipment). Click here for a copy of the relevant Government Gazette.
The new regulations relate specifically to the safe use of Trackless Mobile Machinery and the systems that must be implemented by employers. These regulations will thus apply in addition to the systems and safety mechanisms that are set out in the Mandatory Code of Practice for the Operation of Trackless Mobile Machinery which employers are required to have in place in terms of section 9 of the MHSA.
Employers would be well advised to ensure consistency between these regulations and the safety requirements set out in mine specific codes of practice, standards and training materials.
The Regulations shall come into effect three months from the date of publication, being 27 May 2015, with the exception of two regulations relating to the implementation of "fail to safe" potential collision systems on diesel powered trackless mobile machines.
The new regulations address a number of aspects relating to the safe use of trackless mobile machines on mines. The topics addressed in these regulations are listed below, with a more detailed discussion available in the links:
- Regulations relating to pedestrians and trackless mobile machinery on mines - click here to read more
- Additional requirements in respect of diesel powered trackless mobile machines - click here to read more
- Specific considerations to be taken and measures to be implemented by employers using trackless mobile machinery on mines - click here to read more
- Regulations relating to the use and operation of trackless mobile machinery on mines - click here to read more
- Requirements of braking systems on trackless mobile machinery - click here to read more
- Regulations relating to battery charging facilities and diesel refuelling facilities - click here to read more
- Safety requirements in respect of trailers - click here to read more
- Regulations relating to remote and remotely controlled trackless mobile machines - click here to read more