In the fall of 2014, the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) launched a new forum -- CSLB TV -- for engaging in discussions with contractors about issues and challenges that affect the construction industry. The first event, an interactive webinar on September 19, 2014 titled Doing It Right: HVAC Permits & Title 24 Energy Regulations Webinar, discussed issues and challenges in the HVAC industry related to California Energy Commission Title 24 energy efficiency regulations and the permitting process with local building divisions. Topics for future CSLB TV are being discussed. To submit a webinar topic recommendation, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More than 275 viewers and listeners participated in the webinar, including submitting email questions to CSLB Board Member Nancy Springer (who also is the Butte County Chief Building Official) and CSLB Chief of Enforcement David Fogt for responses. Participants were also able to submit responses to on-line opinion polls with their smart phones. In addition, many of the 86 email questions that were submitted were answered during the webinar; other, more detailed questions were answered after the program.
Two polling questions were posed and the responses from the first 25 respondents were tallied. The first question: What was the biggest problem in complying with Title 24 energy efficiency requirements? Of the four possible answers, almost 50% of the respondents chose "complexity of the code" as the most difficult part of working with the Title 24 requirements; almost 30% of the respondents chose the cost/inconvenience of a building permit; approximately 20% of the respondents thought competitive disadvantage due to increased cost was to blame; and less than 10% of the respondents thought Title 24 problems were due to the reluctance of homeowners to allow inspectors into their homes. The second question: Should the Home Improvement Salesperson contract limit of $750 be raised? Approximately 53% of the respondents voted "No" and the remaining 47% of the respondents voted "Yes."