Fatality and serious injury reporting to OSHA has expanded, but can now be done online. Under reporting rules that went into effect in January 2015, employers must notify OSHA of a work-related fatality within eight hours and of a work-related hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye within 24 hours. https://www.osha.gov/report.html
Report a Fatality or Severe Injury
- All employers are required to notify OSHA when an employee is killed on the job or suffers a work-related hospitalization, amputation, or loss of an eye.
- A fatality must be reported within 8 hours.
- An in-patient hospitalization, amputation, or eye loss must be reported within 24 hours.
To Make a Report
- Call the nearest OSHA office.
- Call the OSHA 24-hour hotline at 1-800-321-6742 (OSHA).
- Report online.
Be prepared to supply: Business name; names of employees affected; location and time of the incident; brief description of the incident; and contact person and phone number.