Online Health Care, Consumer Data, Cybersecurity Risks, Accounting Fraud, Patents [Expect Focus – Vol. II, Spring 2015]
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
- Risky Business: Common Cyber Security Risks, Expensive Consequences
- Ninth Circuit Finds Bonus Indexed Annuity Delivers Exactly What was Promised
- Litigation Finance on the Rise—But Questions Abound
- Appellate Courts + STOLI = Mixed Results
- A Tale of Two Annuities: Exchange of Variable for Fixed Annuity Integral in SLUSA Dismissal
- Statutory Accounting Fraud Under RICO
- Are Custodial Accounts Guaranteed a Guaranty?
- Federal Regulation of Fixed Equity Indexed Annuities Redux?
- $84 Million Settlement in Northwestern Mutual Annuity Class Case
- Sixth Circuit Holds No Disgorgement of Profits Based on Wrongfully Denied ERISA Disability Benefits
- Regulators Compose New Music for Broker-Dealers and Investment Advisers
- SEC Staff Ready to Recommend Variable Annuity Summary Prospectus
- Can “Bad Actors” Wave Goodbye to SEC Waivers?
- Still Threatened: Arbitration Clauses in Securities Customer Agreements
- SEC Extends Rule 482 Relief to Non-ERISA Retirement Plans
- Broker-Dealers File Suspiciously Few Suspicious Activity Reports
- After Omnicare: Opinion Statement Liability in SEC Registrations
- Department of Labor Proposal Would Fundamentally Alter Fiduciary Relationship
- SEC Puts Janus in its Place
PROPERTY & CASUALTY
- Telematics and Usage-Based Insurance
- Florida Federal Court Limits First Party Bad Faith Claims
- Stretched for Resources, the IRS Sets Its Sights on Small Captive Insurers
- Providers Await Result on Affordable Care Act Challenge
- Telemedicine: Hitting a Few Speed Bumps
- A New Era of HIPAA Enforcement
- RadioShack’s Consumer Data: A Highly Scrutinized Asset
- NYDFS Report Foreshadows New Cyber Security Regulations
- Eleventh Circuit: Enforcement of a Security Interest Is Not Debt Collection
- CFPB Continues Crackdown on Fair Lending: Marketing Materials Targeted
- Repeated Fax Blasts Cost Company $22 Million Judgment
- Cleared for Takeoff: Do You Need FCC Permission to Operate that Drone?
- The War Against Cyber Threats: President Obama Ups the Ante
- The Status of Business Method Patents
- State Regulation of Virtual Currency: A Recap
- Is a “YourBrand.sucks” Domain Name Worth $2,500 per Year?