- The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) recently launched a website and new guidebook with information about the new system that will substantially increase the number of generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs). As has been reported, ICANN approved a system for domain names that will allow brand owners to register their own gTLDs, such as “.brand”, as well enable the creation of new domain names based upon generic terms like “.travel”, “.bank”, and “.nyc”. ICANN will accept the first round of applications from January 12, 2012 to April 12, 2012, and many of the new gTLDs are expected to go live later in 2012. The website and guidebook are available here.
- On September 19, 2011, the FCC issued a public notice requesting “key information regarding the special access market – services that link cell phone towers, carry data to the Internet, and serve high-volume business customers.” The FCC is seeking the data because “[g]athering this data is the next critical step in the FCC’s review of whether special access rates, terms, and conditions are just and reasonable.” Responses are due December 5, 2011. More information is available here. The Public Notice is available here.
- The deadline for submissions to the “Apps for Communities” challenge has been extended to October 3, 2011. The challenge is a joint initiative of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the FCC aimed toward increasing Internet accessibility for underserved populations. It offers up to $100,000 in prizes to the winning developers. Contest judges include Marc Andreessen, Mayor Cory Booker, Charles Best, and Tom Lee. More information is available here.
- Nominations for the FCC Open Internet Advisory are due October 1, 2011. For more information, click here.
- Reply Comments on the FCC Notice of Inquiry (NOI) for next year’s “section 706” report are due October 4, 2011. To view the NOI, click here.
Register Now As you are not an existing subscriber please register for your free daily legal newsfeed service.Register
If you have any questions about the service please contact email@example.com or call Lexology Customer Services on +44 20 7234 0606.
- Arent Fox LLP
- Ross A. Buntrock , Alan G. Fishel , Michael B. Hazzard , Jeffrey E. Rummel and Jason A. Koslofsky
- Global, USA
- September 26 2011
If you are interested in submitting an article to Lexology, please contact Andrew Teague at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"I would like to thank the SCCA for this excellent service! The articles included in the newsfeeds are very useful and informative, and the user-friendly format of the newsfeeds means I can quickly glance over the précis in...
"I would like to thank the SCCA for this excellent service! The articles included in the newsfeeds are very useful and informative, and the user-friendly format of the newsfeeds means I can quickly glance over the précis in the emails to choose what to zoom in on."
Shell Eastern Petroleum