The Prime Minister has released the list of legislation proposed for introduction in the Autumn sittings of Federal Parliament, starting Tuesday 8 February.
The only proposed Bill affecting intellectual property is the Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill, which will:
- raise patent standards and increase certainty in the validity of granted patents
- give researchers the freedom to innovate without the threat of litigation
- speed up the processes for determining patent and trade mark applications
- improve the operations of the intellectual property profession
- improve mechanisms for trade mark and copyright enforcement in Australia
- modernise aspects of Australia’s intellectual property system
Once the Bill is made publicly available we'll examine it in more depth.