With cyber-attacks and data breaches making frequent headlines, the NAIC in November 2014 took steps to promote protection of insurance industry information by creating the Cybersecurity (EX) Task Force. The task force will report and make recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding protection of information housed in insurance departments and the NAIC, protection of consumer information collected by insurers, and cyber-liability policies issued in the marketplace. The task force will initially operate to meet the following adopted charges:
- Monitor developments in the area of cybersecurity.
- Advise, report, and make recommendations to the Executive (EX) Committee on cybersecurity issues.
- Coordinate activities with NAIC standing committees and their task forces and working groups regarding cybersecurity issues.
- Represent the NAIC and communicate with other entities/groups, including sharing information, as appropriate, on cybersecurity issues.
- Perform such other tasks as may be assigned by the Executive (EX) Committee relating to the area of cybersecurity.