On 13 April, the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) published its lending statistics for February 2016.
In summary the statistics for lending in January show, on an unadjusted basis, that:
- home owners borrowed £8.7bn for house purchases, a total of 48,000 loans, which is up 21% year on year.
- first time borrowers borrowed £3.4bn (22,000 loans) which is up 11% year on year.
- home movers borrowed £5.3bn, totalling 26,000 loans, which is up 14% compared to February last year.
- re-mortgage activity totalled £4.8bn, encompassing 28,400 loans and up 24% compared to last February, but down 17% from January 2016.
- landlords borrowed £3.7bn in February 2016, totalling 23,700 loans, which is up 47% compared to February 2015.