The Reed Smith Health Industry Washington Watch blog has been updated to report on recent health policy developments, including the following:
- Regulatory Developments. CMS has issued a variety of major Medicare payment rules, including proposed rules impacting Medicare physician, outpatient hospital, ambulatory surgical center, end stage renal disease facility, and home health reimbursement and other policies. These rules also include proposals regarding a face-to-face encounter requirement for Medicare durable medical equipment orders, hospice quality reporting, and bad debt reimbursement, among other issues. HHS has issued rules on Affordable Care Act (ACA) qualified health plan provisions, and the FDA has proposed unique device identification rules. O
- Other HHS Developments. CMS has released its Nursing Home Action Plan and information on Medicaid integrated care models, draft Medicaid drug payment files, and the impact of the “3-day payment window” on physician offices. HHS has made an announcement on HIPAA electronic funds transfer and remittance advance standards, and FDA has issued a variety of guidance documents.
- Legislative Developments. The House has approved legislation to repeal the ACA, a House panel seeks to defund the ACA and AHRQ, and committee hearings have addressed a variety of health policy issues.
- OIG Developments. Recent OIG reports focus on Medicare Part D drug payments for hospice beneficiaries, residents receiving atypical antipsychotic drugs in nursing facilities, and potential ZPIC conflicts of interest.
- Odds & Ends. Massachusetts has loosened its drug/device manufacturer gift ban and disclosure law.
- Health Industry Events. CMS is holding meetings on Medicare hospital outpatient payment policy.