On September 21, 2016, the House Energy and Commerce Committee unanimously approved the following public health bills:
- H.R. 4365, Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act – to amend the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to enable paramedics and other emergency medical services (EMS) professionals to continue to administer controlled substances to patients under standing orders issued by their EMS agency’s medical director.
- H.R. 3537, the Synthetic Drug Control Act – to add synthetic drug compounds to Schedule I of the CSA.
- H.R. 1192, National Clinical Care Commission Act – to establish a National Clinical Care Commission to improve coordination of federal programs that support care for people with diabetes and related metabolic conditions.
- H.R. 1209, Improving Access to Maternity Care Act – to collect data to identify maternity care health professional shortage areas.
- H.R. 1877, Mental Health First Aid Act – to require the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration to award grants to support mental health awareness training programs.
- H.R. 2713, Title VIII Nursing Workforce Reauthorization Act – to reauthorize grants and scholarships for graduate and undergraduate nursing education in specified areas of nursing.