HM Treasury has published the 2009 Pre-Budget Report.
Chapter 3 of the report is entitled Reforming Financial Services. Key announcements in this chapter include:
- A temporary bank payroll tax of 50 per cent to apply to discretionary bonuses above £25,000 awarded in the period from the Pre-Budget Report to 5 April 2010 for each individual employee.
- The Government will shortly announce a package of measures to reduce the impact of any future failure of systemically important investment banks.
- The introduction of a Code of Practice on taxation in banks.
- A new advisory group on professional and financial services.
- Measures to promote a level playing field for Islamic finance products.
- A specific Governance Code for Building Societies and other mutuals.
- The commencement of a new regulatory framework for recognised inter-bank payments systems.
View Pre-Budget Report 2009, 10 December 2009