Congress Prepares for Memorial Day Recess, Capital Thinking to Return in June
With Congress set to leave Washington at the end of the week for a week-long Memorial Day recess, lawmakers have a busy week ahead and are set to address various issues, from funding the nation’s infrastructure to investing in federal research programs to permanently extending the Research and Development (R&D) Tax Credit. Given that Congress will not be in session, Capital Thinking will not publish an update next week. We will return to our regularly-scheduled updates as Congress returns to Washington on Monday, June 1.
Senate Legislative Activity
On Monday, May 18, the Senate will convene at 2:00pm. Following any Leaders remarks, the Senate will be in a period of morning business until 3:00pm. Following the morning business, the Senate will resume consideration of H.R. 1314, with time to equally divided between the managers and their designees. At 5:30pm, the Senate will vote on Brown SA #1242 and Lankford SA #1237, each requiring 60 votes for adoption.
House Legislative Activity
On Monday, May 18, the House will meet at 12:00pm for morning hour and at 2:00pm for legislative business, with votes postponed until 6:30pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspension of the rules:
- H.R. 474 – Homeless Veterans’ Reintegration Programs Reauthorization Act of 2015;
- H.R. 1038 – Ensuring VA Employee Accountability Act;
- H.R. 1313 – Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business Relief Act;
- H.R. 1382 – Boosting Rates of American Veteran Employment Act, as amended;
- H.R. 91 – Veteran’s I.D. Card Act, as amended;
- H.R. 1816 – Vulnerable Veterans Housing Reform Act of 2015, as amended;
- H.R. 1987 – Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2015, as amended; and
- S. 178– Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act of 2015
On Tuesday, May 19, the House will meet at 10:00am for morning hour and at 12:00pm for legislative business. The following legislation will be considered under suspension of the rules:
- H.R. 874 – American Super Computing Leadership Act;
- H.R. 1162 – Science Prize Competitions Act, as amended;
- H.R. 1119 – Research and Development Efficiency Act;
- H.R. 1156 – International Science and Technology Cooperation Act of 2015, as amended;
- H.R. 1561 – Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act of 2015, as amended; and
- H.R. 1158 – Department of Energy Laboratory Modernization and Technology Transfer Act of 2015, as amended
The House is also expected to consider:
- H.R. 2353 – Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015 (Subject to a Rule); and
- H.R. 2250 – Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2016 (Subject to a Rule)
On Wednesday, May 20, the House will meet at 10:00am for morning hour and at 12:00pm for legislative business and is expected to consider:
- H.R. 880 – American Research and Competitiveness Act of 2015 (Subject to a Rule); and
- H.R. 1806 – America COMPETES Reauthorization Act of 2015, Rules Committee Print (Subject to a Rule)
On Thursday, May 21, the House will meet at 9:00am for legislative business, with last votes expected by 3:00pm. The House will consider H.R. 2262 – SPACE Act of 2015 (Subject to a Rule).
On Friday, May 22, no votes are expected in the House.