The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has issued a call for information on the commercial use of consumer data. The CMA has stated that it is seeking to clarify the benefits obtained from the collection and use of consumer data as well as understand the potential issues surrounding competition in markets and consumer protection. The call for information relates to consumer data which:
- concerns UK consumers and is collected inside and outside the UK;
- is collected directly by businesses as well as by appliances, applications and cloud services;
- is collected at any time, with and without the knowledge of consumers;
- includes data on specific transactions for goods and services as well as data not specific to such transactions; and
- is used by firms dealing directly with consumers and third party firms who analyse this data to provide commercial services to other firms.