Every person who provides minimum essential coverage (see definition below) to an individual during a calendar year is required to make a return that contains:
- The name, address and tax ID number of the primary insured and the name and tax ID number of each other individual obtaining coverage under the policy,
- The dates during which such individual was covered under minimum essential coverage during the calendar year, and
- In the case of minimum essential coverage which consists of health insurance coverage, information concerning whether or not the coverage is a qualified health plan offered through an Exchange and, in the case of a qualified health plan, the amount (if any) of any advance payment of any cost-sharing reduction or of any premium tax credit with respect to such coverage.
In addition, if minimum essential coverage provided to an individual consists of health insurance coverage of a health insurance issuer provided through a group health plan of an employer, the return must also include:
- The name, address, and employer identification number of the employer maintaining the plan;
- The portion of the premium (if any) required to be paid by the employer; and
- If the health insurance coverage is a qualified health plan in the small group market offered through an Exchange, such other information as the Secretary of HHS may require for the credit for employee health insurance expenses of small employers.
Information to be Furnished to Individuals
Every person required to make a return is also required to furnish to each individual listed in the return a written statement showing the name and address of the person required to make such return and the phone number of the information contact for such person, and the information required to be shown on the return with respect to such individual. These written statements are required to be furnished on or before January 31 of the year following the calendar year for which the return was made.
Minimum Essential Coverage
Minimum essential coverage (as defined elsewhere in the bill) is defined as any of the following: essential coverage means any of the following:
- Coverage under a government sponsored programs including Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, veteran's health, and Peace Corps volunteer coverage;
- Coverage under an eligible employer-sponsored plan;
- Coverage under a health plan offered in the individual market within a State;
- Coverage under a grandfathered health plan; and
- Other health benefits coverage determined by the Secretary of HHS.
These requirements are effective for calendar years beginning after 2013.