The British Bankers’ Association has published its latest statistics for April 2015. Key points include:
- there was a significant jump in the number of mortgage approvals prior to the general election in May with house purchase approvals higher than March 2015 and 3% higher than April 2014;
- gross mortgage borrowing was £10.5 billion, 2% higher than the previous month but 13% lower than in April 2014;
- the amount deposited in bank accounts by savers increased, as did the level of borrowing by way of personal loans or credit cards;
- lending to businesses has increased across several industry sectors with a net rise of £2.7 billion in 2015 so far; and
- unsecured borrowing continues to grow at a rate of 4.9% since Autumn 2010 with credit card spending volume 8% higher than in April 2014.
The statistics can be read in full here.