On 23 March 2016, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (“EHRC”) published guidance for companies, among others, on how to improve the diversity of company boards within the framework of the Equality Act 2010 and the UK Corporate Governance Code. The recommendations include:
- defining the selection criteria in terms of measurable skills, experience, knowledge and personal qualities;
- reaching the widest possible candidate pool by using a range of recruitment methods and positive action;
- providing a clear brief, including diversity targets, to executive search firms;
- assessing candidates against the role specification in a consistent way throughout the process;
- establishing a clear board accountability for diversity; and
- widening diversity in the senior leadership talent pool to ensure future diversity in succession planning.
The EHRC guidance can be found here