The Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOP) is now offering WIPO Mediation for mediation of disputes pending before IPOP. Under an MoU, IPOP and WIPO have established a joint dispute resolution procedure for the referral of IP disputes to the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center.
All cases filed at IPOP can at present qualify for mediation with IPOP. Now instead of IPOP mediation, where one or more parties is domiciled outside the Philippines they can select WIPO. Specific case types include:
- Administrative complaints for infringement of IP
- Unfair competition
- Technology transfer payments disputes
- A variety of copyright cases
- Appeals to the Office of the Director General (ODG) from decisions of the Bureau of Legal Affairs (BLA) and the Documentation, Information and Technology Transfer Bureau (DITTB)
- All other cases which may be referred to mediation during the settlement period declared by the Director General
WIPO Mediation may be advantageous for foreign parties or parties seeking to settle related disputes in multiple jurisdictions.