We previously updated you on 26 November 2014 regarding the Registered Travellers Scheme which has since been opened up to a greater number of applicants. Although it is still limited to nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the US, the categories of applicant have been expanded to include all visa holders with the exception of Tier 5 (Sporting & Creative Concessions), EEA family permit holders and those with discretionary leave and leave outside the immigration rules.
In addition it is still available to visitors who have visited the UK at least four times in the previous 52 weeks.
The number of ports offering the scheme has also expanded and includes:
- Brussels, Lille and Paris (Rail Terminals)
- London City
An Invitation Code is no longer required and applicants simply need to apply online via this website https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller. The fee is £70 for a 12 months membership.
The Home Office will conduct a number of checks following which a decision will be reached within 10 days. An email notification will then be sent out confirming whether or not the applicant has been successful. This should be printed and presented to the immigration officer when next entering the UK through one of the following ports as follows:
- Gatwick - join the lanes for Registered Travellers
- Heathrow - join the ‘other passports’ lane. Or go to the ‘Fast Track’ desk if you have a ‘Fast Track’ ticket
- Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London City or Stansted – join the ‘Other passports’ lane
- Those who applied in a visitor or diplomatic category can also join the ‘Other passports’ at Brussels, Paris or Lille
Acceptance onto the scheme will be recorded onto the Home Office system to facilitate easier transit through immigration control on subsequent entries to the UK. Membership will be valid for 12 months and will be evidenced by way of a membership card.