Every company, firm, or establishment whose name appears on the label of a consumer or commercial product that was sold or supplied for use in California during calendar year 2013 and whose product falls into a category listed on the 2013 Survey Category List must comply with California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations by submitting a survey by March 2, 2015. The survey mandates submission of detailed information for each product meeting these requirements, including product formulas, unit sales, and submission of a product label.
Examples of covered product categories include the following:
- antiperspirants and deodorants;
- body, hand, and face cleansers;
- facial and body treatments;
- fragrance products;
- hair care products;
- health use products for external use (e.g., topical acne products, external analgesics, lice treatments);
- cosmetics (e.g., eye shadow, lipstick/ lip gloss, blush, nail polish);
- oral care products;
- insect repellents;
- pet care products;
- household cleaners (e.g., carpet cleaners, floor wax, bathroom cleaners, dishwasher detergents, laundry detergents);
- automotive detailing and maintenance products;
- lawn and garden care products;
- office supply products;
- pool/spa products;
- shoe and leather care products; and
- certain pesticide products, just to name a few.
Please note that this survey is more inclusive than previous CARB surveys and may require a significant amount of time to complete. After reviewing the Category List, a company can visit the pre-survey website located here to help determine if compliance is necessary. Registration is required prior to submission of the survey and can be completed here. Please note that registration can take up to five calendar days to process. CARB provides a comprehensive set of instructions for registration at this link, and tutorials for survey completion are available at this link.
CARB began accepting 2013 survey results on January 1, 2015, and completed 2013 surveys are due on March 2, 2015. Data for calendar years 2014 and 2015 will also need to be reported. Reporting for 2014 sales will begin July 1, 2015, and reporting for 2015 sales will begin July 1, 2016.