US/Europe Energy Relations
On Thursday, November 5, the U.S. House of Representatives and the European Parliament will jointly discuss energy security issues. The House Energy and Commerce Committee, Subcommittee on Energy and Power will hold an “Energy Security Roundtable” with European members of the Transatlantic Legislators’ Dialogue. The event will be co-chaired by Committee Chairman Fred Upton (R-MI) and Chairman Jerzy Buzek of the European Parliament. According to the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the discussion will focus on “a broad range of energy issues that collectively impact the energy security of the United States and our European allies.” Anticipated topics include areas in which the U.S. and Europe can partner and the identification of “opportunities to strengthen energy security, lower energy prices and improve economic competitiveness.”
This Week’s Hearings:
Mining, Oil and Gas
- On Wednesday, November 4, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Subcommittee on Interior, will hold a hearing to examine the Department of the Interior’s Stream Protection Rule. This hearing will address the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) efforts to revise current regulations regarding minimizing the impacts of surface coal mining operations on surface water and fish and wildlife.
- Also on Wednesday, November 4, the House Natural Resources Committee, Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources, will hold a hearing on two mining and mineral-related bills:
- H.R. 3843, the “Locatable Minerals Claim Location and Maintenance Fees Act of 2015,” would authorize the collection of claim location and maintenance fees for seven years.
- H.R. 3844, the “Energy and Minerals Reclamation Foundation Establishment Act of 2015,” would establish the Energy and Minerals Reclamation Foundation to encourage and use donations to reclaim abandoned mine lands and gas well sites.
- On Thursday, November 5, the House Science Space and Technology Committee will hold a hearing titled “Examining EPA’s Predetermined Efforts to Block the Pebble Mine.”
- On Tuesday, November 3, the House Science Space and Technology Committee, Subcommittee on Oversight and Subcommittee on Environment, will hold a joint hearing to discuss the “Renewable Fuel Standard: A Ten Year Review of Costs and Benefits.”