On July 6, 2012, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released a pre-publication version of proposed revisions to the Physician Fee Schedule. A number of proposed changes within the 765-page text are important for physicians. Some notable provisions include:
- Revising the methodology and components used in calculating physician payments and drug reimbursement;
- Implementing a face-to-face requirement as a condition of payment for certain durable medical equipment in keeping with provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act;
- Expanding payment for both telehealth services and preventative services;
- Expanding the scope of services provided by Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists to include pain management and other anesthesiarelated medical procedures as allowed by relevant State law; and
- Allowing non-physician providers to order portable x-rays.
The proposed regulations are expected to be formally published on July 30, 2012. Prior to that time, they can be viewed at the Federal Register online by clicking here.1