Congress, Capital Thinking Prepare for Recess
At the conclusion of this week, both the House and Senate will adjourn for a two-week recess. During this time, there will not be regularly scheduled updates of the Capital Thinking Blog. Both Congress and Capital Thinking will return on Monday, April 13.
Senate Legislative Activity
On Monday, March 23, the Senate will convene at 12:00pm. Following any Leaders remarks, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is expected to move to proceed to consider the FY 2016 Budget Resolution, with at least one roll call vote on an amendment expected at 5:30pm.
House Legislative Activity
On Monday, March 23, the House will meet at 12:00pm for morning hour and at 2:00pm for legislative business, with votes postponed until 6:30pm. The following legislation will be considered under suspension of the rules:
- H.R. 360 – Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Reauthorization Act of 2015, as amended;
- H.R. 233 – Tenant Income Verification Relief Act of 2015;
- H.R. 216 – Department of Veterans Affairs Budget Planning Reform Act of 2015, as amended;
- H. Res. 53 – Condemning the cowardly attack on innocent men, women, and children in the northeastern Nigerian town of Baga, as amended; and
- H. Res. ___ – Calling on the President to provide Ukraine with military assistance to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity.
On Tuesday, March 24, the House will meet at 10:00am for morning hour and at 12:00pm for legislative business. On Wednesday, March 25, the House will meet at 10:00am for legislative business and recess immediately. The House will reconvene at approximately 10:45am for a Joint Meeting of Congress to receive His Excellency Mohammad Ashraf Ghani, President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. On Thursday, March 26, the House will meet at 9:00am for legislative business, with last votes expected by 3:00pm.
The House will consider H.R.H.R. 1092, to designate the Federal building located at 2030 Southwest 145th Avenue in Miramar, Florida, as the “Benjamin P. Grogan and Jerry L. Dove Federal Bureau of Investigation Miami Field Office,” as amended.
Additionally, subject to a rule, the House will consider H. Con. Res. __, establishing the budget for the United States Government for fiscal year 2016 and setting forth appropriate budgetary levels for fiscal years 2017 through 2025. Separately, the House will consider legislation related to the Medicare Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR).
On Friday, March 27, no votes are expected in the House.