On June 28, 2016, the Cyberspace Administration of China (“CAC”) issued administrative provisions on information services of mobile internet applications, which will take effect on August 1, 2016.
Highlights of the provisions:
- Mobile internet application providers must strictly implement information security management and:
- verify registered users’ identities based on their mobile phone number and other real identity information;
- specify the purposes, means and scope for collecting and using users’ personal information and obtaining their consent; and
- keep a record of users’ login information and store it for 60 days.
- Internet application storage service providers must urge application providers to protect user information and thoroughly explain to users the application's collection and use of their information.
Finally, the second draft Cyber Security Law was not approved by the Standing Committee of the PRC National People’s Congress (“NPC”) in the reading that that took place in the last week of June 2016 and was sent back to be revised again.
Date of issue: June 28, 2016. Effective Date: August 1, 2016