On February 17, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2015-3.
- Register for IRS phone forum: Employment Taxes for Exempt Organizations
- Review recent EO published guidance
- IRS launches Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers; Online tool offers new option to help taxpayers
- Choose a tax preparer wisely
- Taxpayer Bill of Rights: #2, The Right to Quality Service
- Ten great reasons to visit IRS.gov
- Read more IRS news releases on biggest tax scams for the 2015 filing season
- Register for EO workshops
1. Register for IRS phone forum: Employment Taxes for Exempt Organizations
Thursday, Feb. 19 2 p.m., ET
- What are employment taxes?
- Independent contractors vs. employees
- Voluntary Classification Settlement Program
- Church and the clergy
- Electronic filing and payment options for employment tax returns
- Small Business Health Care Tax Credit
- Additional Employment Tax Resources
2. Review recent EO published guidance
- TD 9708 Final regulations under section 501(r) of the Code providing guidance regarding the requirements for charitable hospital organizations added by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010.
- Revenue Procedure 2015-17 sets forth procedures for issuing determination letters and rulings on the exempt status of qualified nonprofit health insurance issuers.
Go to the Recent EO Published Guidance page for more information.
3. IRS launches Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers; Online tool offers new option to help taxpayers
The IRS recently announced the launch of a new, online public directory of tax return preparers. This searchable directory onIRS.gov will help taxpayers find a tax professional with credentials and select qualifications to help them prepare their tax returns.
4. Choose a tax preparer wisely
Tax professionals have varying levels of skills, education and expertise. Furthermore, not all tax professionals have the right to represent taxpayers before the IRS, such as during an audit.
Taxpayers should be aware of the credentials, qualifications and extent of service each prospective professional provides before obtaining their service.
5. Taxpayer Bill of Rights: #2, The Right to Quality Service
Each and every taxpayer has a set of fundamental rights they should be aware of when dealing with the IRS.
The Taxpayer Bill of Rights takes the multiple existing rights embedded in the tax code and groups them into 10 broad categories, making them easier to find and understand.
6. Ten great reasons to visit IRS.gov
No matter when you need tax help or information, your best option is to visit IRS.gov. Our website has many tools and services, which make getting help from the IRS just a click away.
7. Read more IRS news releases on biggest tax scams for the 2015 filing season
- Fake Charities Among the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams for 2015
- Abusive Tax Shelters Again on the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams for the 2015 Filing Season
- Falsifying Income to Claim Tax Credits Hits the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams for the 2015 Filing Season
- Filing Fake Documents to Hide Income Is Again on the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams for the 2015 Filing Season
- Excessive Claims for Fuel Tax Credits Make the IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams for the 2015 Filing Season
8. Register for EO workshops
Register for our upcoming workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations. Remember to check this page periodically for new workshops being planned in a town near you.