As the weather turns colder, concerns about the flu resurface. With many reports that this year’s flue vaccine is less effective than usual, flu season figures to be worse than ever. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has issued updated guidance for businesses and employers, which can be found at: Make It Your Business to Fight the Flu: A Toolkit for Businesses and Employers. Employers should be ready to implement strategies to protect their workforces while ensuring continuity of operations. Most of the recommendations boil down to simple common sense:
- Encourage workers who are sick to stay home (or go home if they’ve reported to work);
- Encourage good hygiene in the workplace;
- Prepare for increased numbers of employee absences due to illness in employees and their family members, and plan ways for essential business functions to continue;
- Prepare for the possibility of school and daycare dismissal and closure; and
- Encourage workers to get vaccinated.