Concerns about H1N1 Influenza are beginning to creep back into everyone's consciousness as summer is drawing to a close. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has issued updated guidance for businesses and employers, which can be found at:
Employers should be ready to implement strategies to protect their workforces while ensuring continuity of operations. Most of the recommendations boil down to simple common sense:
- Encourage workers who are sick to stay home (or go home if they've reported to work);
- Encourage good hygiene in the workplace;
- Prepare for increased numbers of employee absences due to illness in employees and their family members, and plan ways for essential business functions to continue;
- Prepare for the possibility of school and daycare dismissal and closure; and
- Encourage workers to get vaccinated.