The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has published its statistics on lending in January. In summary the statistics for lending in January show, on an unadjusted basis, that:
- Home-owners borrowed £8.4 billion for house purchase, down 25% month-on-month but up 12% year-on-year.
- First-time buyers borrowed £3.3 billion in January, down 27% on December but up 14% on January last year.
- Home movers borrowed £5.1 billion, down 24% in December but up 11% compared to a year ago.
- Home-owner remortgagors borrowed £5.8 billion, up 35% on December and 32% compared to a year ago.
- Landlords borrowed £3.7 billion in January, up 9% month-on-month and 42% year-on-year.