- On April 14, 2015, the Senate voted 92-8 to pass the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 without amendments, which permanently replaces the flawed Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) and extends CHIP through FY2017, among other provisions. The President signed the measure into law on April 16th, thereby preventing Medicare physician’s fees from being slashed by 21 percent, as was scheduled to occur in the absence of Congressional action. Due to the timing of the bill signing, some doctors’ claims will be subject to cuts, and then re-processed at the appropriate rate.
- On April 15, 2015, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee convened a hearing entitled “IRS Challenges in Implementing the Affordable Care Act”. More information on the hearing may be found here.
House of Representatives
- On April 15, 2015, the House Energy and Commerce Health Subcommittee convened a hearing entitled “Medicare Post Acute Care [PAC] Delivery and Options to Improve It”. The sole witness for Panel I was Mark Miller, Executive Director of the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). Witnesses for Panel II included Steven Landers, M.D., M.P.H., President and CEO, Visiting Nurse Association Health Group; Samuel Hammerman, M.D., M.M.M., F.C.C.P., Chief Medical Officer, LTACH Hospital Division, Select Medical Corporation; Melissa Morley, Ph.D., Program Manager, Health Care Financing and Payment, RTI International; and Leonard Russ, Principal Partner, Bayberry Health Care, Chairman of American Health Care Association (AHCA). More information on the hearing may be found here.
- On April 14, 2015, the House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee convened a hearing entitled “Individual and Employer Mandates in the President’s Health Care Law”. Witnesses for the hearing included Douglas Holtz-Eakin, President, American Action Forum; Scott Womack, President, Womack Restaurants; and Sabrina Corlette, Faculty, Georgetown University. More information on the hearing may be found here.
- On April 14th, the House Education and Workforce Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor and Pensions Subcommittee convened a hearing entitled “Five Years of Broken Promises: How the President’s Health Care Claw is Affecting America’s Workplaces”. The hearing will take place at 2175 Rayburn House Office Building at 10:00 AM. More information on the hearing may be found here.
- On April 15, 2015, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies held a hearing on the budget for Ebola. Witnesses for the hearing included Nicole Lurie, MD, MSPH, Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, United States Public Health Service, United Sates Department of Health and Human Services (HHS); Thomas R. Frieden, MD, MPH, Director, Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); Anthony S. Fauci, MD, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institutes of Health (NIH); Robin Robinson, PhD, Director, Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), Deputy Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, HHS. More information on the hearing may be found here.