The Tennessee Health Services and Development Agency ("HSDA") is responsible for regulating the health care industry in Tennessee through the Certificate of Need Program. A Certificate of Need ("CON") is a permit for the establishment or modification of a health care institution, facility or service at a designated location. The CON program assures that health care projects are accomplished in an orderly, economical manner, consistent with the development of adequate and effective healthcare for the people of Tennessee. This Update is provided to our clients and friends to summarize the latest developments and activities from the HSDA meetings.
THE HSDA MET ON OCTOBER 26, 2016.
THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS WERE APPROVED:
• VIP Home Nursing and Rehabilitation Service, LLC d/b/a CareAll Home Care Services in Nashville (CN1608-028), adding 6 counties (Maury, Giles, Lawrence, Wayne, Lewis, and Hickman) to the existing 22 county (Bedford, Cheatham, Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson, Wilson, Clay, Cumberland, Jackson, Overton, Putnam, Macon, Robertson, Sumner, Smith, Trousdale, Dekalb, Van Buren, Warren, White, Perry, and Cannon Counties) service area of VIP Home Nursing and Rehabilitation Service d/b/a CareAll Home Care Services in Nashville, on the condition that these 6 counties be concurrently de-licensed from the service area of Maxlife at Home of Tennessee d/b/a CareAll Home Care Services;
• Maxlife at Home of Tennessee LLC d/b/a CareAll Home Care Services in Nashville (CN1608-029), relocating the applicant’s principal office from 900 Nashville Highway, Columbia (Maury County) to 4015 Travis Drive, Suite 103, Nashville, TN 37211 and transferring Maury, Giles, Lawrence, Lewis, Wayne, and Hickman Counties to the applicant’s sister agency VIP Home Nursing and Rehabilitation Service, d/b/a CareAll Home Care Services, on the condition that these 6 counties be de-licensed from the service area;
• Tennessee Orthopedics, P.C. in Lebanon (CN1605-019), establishing a multi-specialty ambulatory surgical treatment center (ASTC) to be located in leased space at 101 Physicians Way, Lebanon (Wilson County), TN 37090, on the condition that it includes 3 operating rooms and 1 procedure room;
• Bartlett ASC, LLC in Bartlett (CN1605-020), establishing a multi-specialty ambulatory surgical center (ASTC) providing outpatient surgery services, on the condition that it includes 3 operating rooms and 1 procedure room; We hope this update is helpful. Should you have any questions about any of the information provided, please do not hesitate to contact us. THE NEXT MEETING WILL BE HELD ON DECEMBER 14.
• AxelaCare Health Solutions LLC in Memphis (CN1606-022), establishing a home care organization and initiating home health services limited to the home infusion of immune globulin pharmaceuticals in 21 West Tennessee counties (Benton, Carroll, Chester, Crockett, Decatur, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Hardeman, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, McNairy, Obion, Shelby, Tipton, and Weakley);
• Trustpoint Hospital LLC in Murfreesboro (CN1606-024), adding 88 hospital beds to the existing 129-bed acute care hospital licensed by the TN Department of Health resulting in a total of 217 licensed beds (Adult Psychiatric beds will increase from 59 to 111 beds; Physical Rehabilitation beds will increase from 16 beds to 24 beds; Child Psychiatric beds will increase from 0 beds to 14 beds; Adolescent Psychiatric will increase from 0 to 14 beds), on the condition that it be limited to 52 Adult Psychiatric Beds, 8 Physical Rehabilitations Beds, 14 Adolescent Psychiatric Beds, and 14 Child Psychiatric Beds);
• NHC/Maury Regional Transitional Care Center in Columbia (CN1307-025AE), 3-month extension of the expiration date for the CON granted for the establishment of a 112-bed Medicare skilled nursing home to be known as NHC/Maury Regional Transitional Care Center pursuant to T.C.A. § 68-11-1627, which permits the replacement of one or more currently licensed nursing homes with one single nursing home (the new facility will be created by relocating and replacing the 92-bed NHC Healthcare, Hillview and the 20-bed Maury Regional Hospital Skilled Nursing Unit to an 11 acre site at 5004 Trotwood Avenue, Columbia (Maury County), TN);
• Campbell Clinic Surgery Center in Germantown (CN1208-040AE), 24-month extension of the expiration date for the CON granted for expansion of the surgery center, from 5 surgical rooms (4 operating rooms and 1 procedure room) to 10 surgical rooms (8 operating rooms and 2 procedure rooms), on its present site;
• Waynesboro Health & Rehabilitation Center in Waynesboro (CN1411-045A), 24-month extension of the expiration date for the CON granted for the relocation and replacement of Wayne Care Nursing Home located at 505 South Main Street, Waynesboro (Wayne County), TN, a 46-bed nursing facility, and the construction of an addition to Waynesboro Health and Rehabilitation Center (f/k/a Wayne County Nursing Home), a 109-bed nursing facility located at 104 J.V. Mangubat Drive, Waynesboro (Wayne County), TN 38485; and
• McKendree Village in Hermitage (CN1202-010AEE and CN1303-007AE), 19-month extensions of the expiration date for the CONs granted for the addition of 30 Medicare skilled nursing facility nursing home beds to the 150 nursing home beds it currently operates and the renovation, construction, and partial repositioning of 50 existing dually-certified beds.
In addition, the Agency:
• Denied the application by Middle Tennessee Imaging, LLC d/b/a Premier Radiology in Clarksville (CN1605- 016), requesting the establishment of an outpatient diagnostic center and the initiation of MRI services through the acquisition of a fixed MRI unit;
• Deferred to the December meeting the application by Compass Intervention Center in Memphis (CN1606- 025), requesting the establishment of a 48-bed inpatient mental health hospital for children and adolescents up to age 18;
• Announced the withdrawal of the interlocutory agency review requested by Southern Hills Surgery Center in Brentwood (Davidson County) (TN ─ CN1411-047A) of the ALJ’s order denying its Motion for Partial Summary Judgment;
• Approved the request by Horizon Health & Rehabilitation Center for Agency determination as to whether a certificate of need is required to expand its operations to an adjacent parcel of property; and
• Approved promulgation of rules, making permanent the fee increase of the initial examination fee to $5.75 per $1,000 of the estimated capital expenditure involved, with a minimum of $15,000 and a maximum of $95,000.