The Competitive Start Fund (CSF) is an Enterprise Ireland fund aimed at accelerating the growth of start-up companies. It offers €50,000 (matched with €5,000 from the company or other private investor) for a 10% ordinary equity stake in the company. The purpose of the investment is to help start-ups who benefit from CSF investment with the following:
- Evaluate overseas market opportunities and reach conclusions regarding viability;
- Build a prototype;
- Secure a reference site;
- Develop a market entry plan for exploiting international opportunities;
- Secure a partnership deal or strategic alliance;
- Identify suitable channels to international markets; and
- Secure third party investment e.g. from a business angel, Venture Capital.
Many companies which secure CSF funding go on to secure funding from Enterprise Ireland’s High Potential Start-Up (HPSU) Fund.