Trademark registration fees to double
UAE Cabinet Decision No. 9 of 2015 (the Decision) has doubled the official fees for registering trademarks with the Ministry of Economy's trademark office (TMO) in the UAE. The Decision, which takes effect from 29 May 2015, marks a huge increase in the trademark official fees, which were already considered one of the highest in the world.
The fees have been increased as follows:
- Search fee - AED 250 to AED 500
- Application filing fee - AED 500 to AED 1000
- Publication fee - AED 500 to AED 1,000
- Registration fee - AED 5,000 to AED 10,000
- Renewal fee - AED 5,000 to AED 10,000
Similar increases apply to other forms of intellectual property. It is unfortunate that these substantial increases may force applicants to think twice before applying to register their IP rights in the UAE.