From 2014 to 2016 the Competition Authority was part of a project sponsored by the European Commission and implemented by GIZ. The project concerned the alignment of competition legislation in Montenegro with EU standards. The following results were presented at a conference:
- Competition policy in Montenegro improved significantly between 2014 and 2016.
- Authority activity increased significantly between 2014 and 2016, which manifested in a number of cases confirmed by the courts:
- 25 concentrations were approved in 2014;
- 33 concentrations were approved in 2015;
- 15 concentrations were approved in 2016; and
- five individual exemptions were made over the two-year period.
- Increased court support with the implementation of fines will be introduced to aid further development.
The project was completed successfully and progress in competition policy is clearly visible.
In a 2015 progress report, the European Union expressed a positive opinion on the development of Montenegro's competition policy.
For further information on this topic please contact Srdjana Petronijevic at Moravcevic Vojnovic i Partneri in cooperation with Schoenherr by telephone (+381 11 320 26 00) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Moravcevic Vojnovic i Partneri website can be accessed at www.schoenherr.rs.
This article was first published by the International Law Office, a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide. Register for a free subscription.