On Nov. 27, 2014, the National Bureau of Statistics issued the Interim Measures on the Public Disclosure of Information of Seriously Dishonest Enterprises Regarding Statistics Compilation (the Interim Measures). The Interim Measures are aimed to form effective mechanisms requiring enterprises to report authentic statistics, improving the quality of statistics, and enhancing the credibility of government statistics.
Key points of the Interim Measures include:
- Definition of Seriously Dishonest Enterprises Regarding Statistics Compilation. The Interim Measures provide that the “Seriously Dishonest Enterprises Regarding Statistics Compilation” (the SDEs) are enterprises who conduct any of the following activities during statistics surveys: (a) intentional fabrication of statistical data; (b) false reporting or concealing of statistical data with a significantly high amount or frequency; and (c) other serious violations of related statistics laws which would be subject to administrative penalties.
- Public Disclosure of SDE Information. In addition to punishing SDEs through written warnings and penalties set forth under the PRC Statistics Law, the National Bureau of Statistics would publish for a period of one year information regarding a SDE, including its name, domicile, legal representative or person-in-charge, activities of violation, and the related punishments, on the China Statistics Information website. If the enterprises have corrected their violations earnestly, and upon application of such enterprises and verification by the statistics authority, the above published information can be removed from the website earlier (but not less than six months).
- Other Consequences of Being Regarded as SDEs. The Interim Measures further provide that the information of SDEs will also be incorporated into the credit information systems of other governmental authorities such as administration for industry and commerce (the AIC), which may affect the financing, government subsidies and AIC administration and registration of such enterprises.
It is important to note, however, that the Interim Measures include mostly broad policy principles. Further guidance and detailed implementing rules remain to be drafted and issued by the relevant statistics authorities.
- Interim Measures on the Public Disclosure of Information of Seriously Dishonest Enterprises regarding Statistics Compilation
- Issuing authority: National Bureau of Statistics
- Date of issuance: Nov. 27, 2014 / Effective date: Jan. 1, 2015