The Trustworthy Accountability Group (“TAG”) has launched its Brand Integrity Program Against Piracy. This voluntary program is intended to enhance the quality of the ad ecosystem marketplace by providing a certified means to help fight ad-supported Internet piracy. May 2015 Specifically, the program is designed to create trust in the Internet ad ecosystem by helping entities minimize the inadvertent placement of digital advertising on websites or other media properties that have an undesired risk of being associated with the unauthorized dissemination of materials protected by the copyright laws and/or illegal dissemination of counterfeit goods. The program uses independent third-party validators to certify advertising technology companies as Digital Advertising Assurance Providers (“DAAP”). These validators are now accepting applications from entities seeking to be validated as DAAPs.
To be validated as a DAAP under the program, a company must show it can provide other advertising companies with tools to limit their exposure to undesirable websites or other media properties by effectively meeting one or more criteria outlined in the Core Criteria for Effective Digital Advertising Assurance. Such criteria include:
- Identifying “Ad Risk Entities” (AREs): Assessing and identifying websites or other media properties that have a discernible risk of facilitating the unauthorized dissemination of copyrighted materials and/or the illegal dissemination of counterfeit goods.
- Preventing Advertisements on Undesired Ad Risk Entities: Enabling advertisers and agencies to restrict the display of their advertising on undesirable sites or other media properties that do not meet each advertiser’s or agency’s standards.
- Detecting, Preventing, or Disrupting Fraudulent or Deceptive Transactions: Ensuring protocols and capabilities exist to find and limit ad placements on Ad Risk Entities that use fraud or deception to avoid the standards set by the advertiser or agency.
- Monitoring and Assessing the Compliance of Ad Placements: Detecting and reporting on Ad Risk Entities that are not in compliance with advertiser or agency instructions to allow remedial action to be taken. Eliminating Payments to Undesired Ad Risk Entities: Using technology and protocols to prevent payments to undesired sites and other media properties.
- Eliminating Payments to Undesired Ad Risk Entities: Using technology and protocols to prevent payments to undesired sites and other media properties.
Entities successfully completing the validation process will receive the TAG “Validated Against Piracy” certification mark. Additionally, companies in the digital ad ecosystem that work with DAAPs may receive TAG’s “Certified Against Piracy” certification mark.