Large scale research project in US highlights potential problems with cardiac devices

A former fitness instructor who was fitted with an ICD has reported how it dramatically failed three years after being fitted.

Lindsey McAndrew was fitted with an electrical heart device in 2006 after being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat.

However, in 2009 Ms McAndrew reports that she felt a "a great big bang" as she reached to switch off a light, and then felt pain in her chest.

She was rushed to hospital where doctors discovered that the lead connected to her ICD had fractured, leaving her needing further surgical intervention.

Specialist lawyer Thomas Jervis is currently representing a number of clients who believe that their heart devices, including pacemakers, defibrillators and their leads, caused multiple electric shocks, and personal injuries.

Pacemakers and defibrillators are used by thousands of people in the UK.

A research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, concluded: "Current passive surveillance efforts may underestimate device malfunction."

Speaking to the Sunday Express on 16 August, specialist lawyer Thomas Jervis said:

"We continue to be contacted by affected patients. Multi-national companies are profitable organisations who produce important, often life-saving medical devices.

However, it is critically important that all medical devices are properly tested before being released to the market to stop problems, such as reported in this study, happening in the future."