- EXTENSION OF TIME GRANTED: The deadline for comments regarding measurement of mobile broadband network performance and coverage, Docket Nos. CG 09-158, CC 98-170, WC 04-36, has been extended to July 8, 2010. DA 10-998.
- On June 18, 2010, the FCC’s Spectrum Task Force announced “a proceeding to unleash up to 90 MHz of additional spectrum for mobile broadband, consistent with the National Broadband Plan recommendation to accelerate terrestrial deployment in the mobile satellite service band.” This is part of a “plan to increase value, utilization, and investment in mobile satellite service bands.” The proceeding will commence in July. The announcement is available here.
- The FCC has launched Wireless World Travel Week which focuses on providing travelers abroad with “tips to help travelers save money on international wireless use.” Each day will features tips on a different topics, such as making VoIP calls to save on international calls. The tips will be collected here.
- Edward Lazarus, the FCC’s Chief of Staff, defends the recent Open Internet meetings with Verizon, AT&T, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, Google, and Skype in a blog post available here. Lazarus states that because these meetings are “regarding other approaches outside of the open proceedings at the Commission, the agency’s ex parte disclosure requirements are not applicable.” He also notes that the FCC is posting notices of the meetings at the Broadband Blog.
- Chairman Genachowski spoke at Atlantic magazine’s “Future of the City” conference on June 22, 2010, comparing ongoing efforts to improve broadband infrastructure to the electricity infrastructure upgrades of the past. Chairman Genachowski highlighted many of the goals of the National Broadband Plan, and pointed out that the US is falling behind internationally because of broadband adoption issues. He concluded that the issue of spectrum availability requires aggressive action by the United States.
Register Now As you are not an existing subscriber please register for your free daily legal newsfeed service.Register
If you have any questions about the service please contact email@example.com or call Lexology Customer Services on +44 20 7234 0606.
- Arent Fox LLP
- Ross A. Buntrock , Jonathan E. Canis , Alan G. Fishel , Michael B. Hazzard , Stephanie A. Joyce and Jeffrey E. Rummel
- June 28 2010
If you are interested in submitting an article to Lexology, please contact Andrew Teague at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Legal Services
Cisco Systems, Inc