The Council has adopted new sanctions against Iran. The sanctions follow a factsheet which stressed the EU’s concern over the deterioration of Iran’s human rights situation. The new sanctions comprise:
- in the energy sector, measures including a phased embargo of Iranian crude oil imports to the EU;
- in the financial sector, measures including against the Central Bank of Iran;
- measures in the transport sector;
- further export restrictions, notably on gold and on sensitive dual-use goods and technology; and
- additional designations of persons and entities, including several controlled by the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
The Council reiterated the sanctions are aimed not at the Iranian people but at the Iranian regime, which it said could end all measures by acting responsibly. A statement by David Cameron, Angela Merkel and Nicolas Sarkozy called on the Iranian leadership to suspend its sensitive nuclear activities and abide by its international obligations. (Source: Council Publishes Iran Update)