The widow of a man who died after he was allegedly exposed to asbestos at Harlow Industrial Training College is appealing for information from anyone who worked or studied at the college.
Bella Gray, aged 58, was married to Nigel Gray for 29 years before he died last year, age 57, after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, an asbestos related cancer.
Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos particles in the air and it can take 20 years from being exposed for symptoms to begin.
The life expectancy for someone diagnosed with mesothelioma is usually less than 12 months. However, Nigel endured the disease for 3 years after he was diagnosed in 2012.
Nigel studied at Harlow Industrial Training College, at Perry Road, Staple Tyre, Harlow in 1976 and then spent a period working at the college where he helped to erect and demolish temporary buildings at the college. He was 19 years old.
Planning permission documents from Harlow Council confirm that asbestos was present in these huts being built at the time and lawyers believe this is when Nigel was exposed to the dust.
Bella has instructed Daniel Easton, from law firm Leigh Day, to investigate the case. Mr Easton said “We are appealing to anyone who used to work or study at the college who may be able to provide further information about asbestos at the college, particularly in relation to the temporary buildings, which we know Nigel worked on.”
Nigel and Bella have two children, Samantha who is 29 and Kevin who is 28. Bella describes Nigel as “a loving husband and her best friend. I will never find another person like him”.