As we begin the summer travel season, we remind foreign national travelers to be prepared and plan ahead for security and admission procedures with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Here are a few things to keep in mind and confirm prior to your international travel:
- Validity period of your passport
- Validity period of your non-immigrant, temporary visa stamp (H-1B, L-1, E-1/2, R-1, etc.)
- Current and valid status document (I-797, DS-2019, I-20, etc.)
- Entry requirements for admission to the country you intend to visit
- Travel alerts and warnings for your destination (see http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html)
To make things more efficient at U.S. ports of entry, CBP recently launched the “CBP Border Wait Time” app allowing international travelers to confirm the closest land entry and estimated wait times. Travelers can download the app for free from Apple’s App Store and Google Play.
Additionally, CBP has a variety of programs in place to allow for faster entry into the U.S. by air and land. See our prior article (here) regarding the Global Entry, NEXUS, ESTA and related programs.