For this year, the 21 September 2016 is the third and final return deadline for lobbying activity.
Any person who falls within the scope of the Regulation of Lobbying Act 2015 (“the Act”) and who communicates with a designated public official must be registered to submit online returns. Any lobbying activity carried out from the period of 01 May to 31 August 2016 must be registered by 21 September 2016.
The Act outlines that returns must include the following information:
- where communications are being made on behalf of another person, i.e. a client, you must provide information relating to your client,
- the designated public officials to whom the communications concerned were made and the body by which they are employed or in which they hold any office or other position,
- the subject matter of those communications and the results they were intended to secure,
- the type and extent of the lobbying activities carried on,
- the name of the individual who had primary responsibility for carrying on the lobbying activities,
- the name of each person who is or has been (whether before or after the passing of this Act) a designated public official employed by, or providing services to, the registered person and who was engaged in carrying on lobbying activities, and
- any such other information relating to carrying on lobbying activities.
As per section 9 of the Act, the Standards in Public Office Commission has established the Register of Lobbying. To date of writing the total number of lobbying returns recorded is now in excess of 5000.
The Register of Lobbying can be viewed here.